We start at the monument at the end of the village Blatnica, continue along the yellow sign with an educational trail. The route to the castle leads through a forest path rising up, the path to the castle on the slope takes about 20 minutes. Wonderful views and a castle dating back to the 13th century await you from above.
The castle with a real “eagle’s nest” glued to a narrow rock tower above the gorges of Gader was Blatnický hrad, which was built in the second half of the 13th century by Peter of Brezovice. It later became a royal property. The basis of the castle complex was a long narrow palace reinforced on the north and south sides by semicircular towers and protected from the northeast by a rocky abyss. In 1540, the Révai family acquired the castle and expanded it with a fortification with new buildings. At the end of the 17th century it was seized by the rebels of Imrich Tököli and at the beginning of the 18th century by the Kurucs of František Rákoci II. It was still repaired in 1744, but from 1790 it was no longer inhabited.
The castle was built to protect the road called magna via, leading from Nitra to the north.