Roman Catholic Church of St. Peter in Turčianske Petra

The church in Turčianske Petre is an early Gothic building with a rectangular presbytery, a west tower, two chapels (in the south and north side of the nave) and a north sacristy. The church, which stands on an elevated hill, was built sometime in the 13th century; at the end of the 16th century, the possession of the building alternated between Protestants and Catholics until 1709, when the church fell to the Catholics. Renaissance reconstruction of the church took place in the first half of the 17th century, during which the family tomb of the David family (the church's patrons) was built under the presbytery, the nave and sacristy were vaulted, and an ossuary was built on the north side. The church underwent Baroque modifications, which mainly affected the interior, in the middle of the 18th century. At the beginning of the 20th century, the onion-shaped roof was replaced by a modern, hipped roof. The church underwent considerable alterations in the post-war period, when the windows were enlarged, the original furnishings were removed, the northern ossuary was converted into a chapel and the tribune in the western part of the nave was made accessible by a new staircase.

 

Source.

Gallery

en_USEnglish

There is no Event

Turiec also at Holiday World & Region World in Prague 2024

The Žilina Region Championship in downhill skiing was attended by 305 competitors

presstrip

Foreign journalists discovered the Turčianska Garden